Thursday, March 25, 2010

Such a random number, but it's about time...

7 Things that I'm thankful for, in no particular order, of course:

1. My sweet and loving Lord- I'm so undeserving, but I'm learning more and more every day how much He loves me and everyone else that I encounter so regularly. He's merciful, gracious, kind, loving, compassionate, gentle and it makes me glad to think of everything that he's done and continues to do in my life every single day.

2. Summer!- In 14 days my freshman year of college will be complete! Although the idea of going back home and not being in my constant routine- class, homework, studying, reading, eating, sleeping- is a little strange to me, I'm so super excited. I've come to terms with the fact that this summer is going to be different from the rest. High school summers were times to be carefree and completely irresponsible. This summer, jobs and summer classes will be calling my name, but I'll be home. And home and all of the people that will be at home with me will make it all worth it.

3. UNC-Greensboro- When I think back to this time last year, I was nearing the end of my senior year of high school and I was devastated that it was all swiftly coming to an end. I'm not one for change, or at least I didn't used to be. High school, living at home, and being around the same people for 10 years was so comfortable and wonderful for me. Going to a new place, 1 hour and 15 minutes away from home, without my friends was the worst idea ever. God knew exactly what He was doing when he made it completely evident to me that UNCG was where I was supposed to be. Looking back now, I couldn't possibly be more thankful for this place, where I'm at, and who I'm with.

4. Jared- Dear Jared and I have be an item for about a year and a half. We met in high school, back in marching band (cute, huh?), started dating a week before the Christmas of our senior year, and have been together ever since. He's pretty great and God sure did bless me with a good one. The thing I love most about Jared is how calm he is. I know that sounds crazy, but let me explain. I'm pretty crazy, spontaneous, free-spirited, excessive, you know. Jared is pretty much the opposite- together, level-headed, clear-thinking, and calm. He balances me out and brings me back to reality almost every day when I'm overreacting and stressing about something that when looked at more closely, doesn't require hardly any worry at all. Jared loves the Lord, and that is made more and more evident to me every day. Being away from each other for weeks and weeks at a time is hard, but it makes the sweet times that we're back together again that much more wonderful.

5. My lovely little sister- Carrie is pretty sweet. She's the one that required me to write this blog, so thanks to her, I'm procrastinating yet again. Carrie is one of the main things that I miss from home. I hate that I feel like I'm missing some of her high school career. She's so much better at being in high school than I was though. Straight A's, no boyfriends, on-time driver's license. I tell you, I totally want to be her when I grow up. Even though we always end up in an argument after I've been home for more than a weekend, we still love each other a whole lot. She's one of my best friends, and even though I tried to slam her in the front door almost breaking her arm when we were little, she still loves me.

6. The little things- Things such as Welch's 100% Grape Juice, letters in the mail, mashed potatoes, dates in the park, smiles from the worker with down syndrome in the cafeteria, deep conversations, flowers... those are the things that I absolutely love. I find the most joy in the smallest things. Some days I'd honestly rather receive a letter in the mail versus a vacation to Hawaii. I know I'm weird, but bring me some grape juice, and I'm sure to love you forever.

7. Camp Joy- I learn more about myself and my love for people there than I do any other place in the world. Camp Joy helped me to realize my true calling in life which is working with God's special children and pursuing a degree in special education. Camp Joy also taught me about the unconditional love of our Father and about having that same love mirrored for others through me. This beautiful place also taught me about my need for the Lord, and how relying on Him every day is only way to make it day by day. I had a particular camper one summer who was wheelchair-bound and was fully dependent on me for everything. This reminds me of my dependence on our Savior and how I'm "wheelchair-bound" by my sin. Camp Joy is my favorite place in the whole world because I can go there, love on God's special children, and gain so much more.

"The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with JOY!" -Ps. 126:3

No comments:

Post a Comment