Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Seasons of love.... at 2:00AM.

Jared and I just returned (just returned, meaning two hours ago), from a spontaneous midnight run. I've never been one to run after dark, only because it's probably not the safest and the parents aren't huge fans of the idea. Today, it was the perfect ending to a lovely day.

Although Jared and I have been home together for a month and a half, our summers haven't nearly lived up to any of our expectations. We're to the point where we're both so excited to go back to school and get things started again. With work, family commitments and church, anytime that we do have free is spent watching LOST or playing a board game, both of which require little to no energy. Today was different, thankfully. Jared worked this morning, and I, surprisingly, had the evening off. We spent time in our favorite location, Rocky River Coffee, of course, made a 'mud pie' (a creative coffee ice cream pie-thing), had dinner with his absolutely fantastic family, looked up textbooks on Half.com, watched Invictus (a superb movie, by the way) and then went for our run.

I miss days like today. It reminded me of days from last summer... when things seemed so much easier and carefree. Today brought me back home and reminded me of everything that I love about Jared. It's been a while since I've been reminded of those things. So much so that it scared me to think that I was so looking forward to moving back to school because our relationship seemed better when we were apart. That's not how it's supposed to be at all. In reality, we just have a better time communicating when we're apart at school versus when we're both stuck in a rut at home. Yeah, it doesn't make sense to us either.

I'm learning a lot about that seasons of life, such as the ones written about in Ecclesiastes, this summer. There truly is a season for everything. This season hasn't been my favorite, but I've learned so much through it, which makes it all worth it, right? The season of love, though, has been rekindled and is back... it never left, actually. I hope it stays in this season of love for a long, long time.

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven." -Ecclesiastes 3:1

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to your first partially grown-up summer.

    And it continues to complicate. I can't tell you how much I wish sometimes that Michael and I were in my tiny 400-square-foot apartment I lived in the year after I graduated, ordering pizza and watching Scrubs and napping. But good things come with the complications: marriage, jobs I like better, DVR, meat that hasn't been frozen... Some days, I want to turn in my driver's license and debit card and be 7 again, when my biggest problem was hiding from my teacher that I was reading during her math lesson. But you can't get the good stuff without complication.

    Enjoy the next few years, and take advantage of them. You'll look back on college as carefree and easy too. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I got excited when I saw your title and thought, "Is Jenna going to talk about Rent? I love Rent!" Because one of the songs is "Seasons of Love"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, yes. Sadly, no Rent. I do love Rent as well... I think we both had super high expectations for the summer... that it would be just like last. Since we're both working what seems to be all of the time, there's seriously no free time for anything. We're both starting to realize that this is just how it has to be right now... and we're learning to be okay with complicated, I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep your head up girl! At least he is just right down the road right now and you can drive to see him if you have some time!

    I know exactly what you mean though. The 3 weeks Evan and I spent together before I left for camp, (which is the longest we have spent together other than last summer and Christmas break in our whole relationship) really made me think about the things I missed most about him. It was the little things that I had forgot about or that I just never really thought to appreciate about him. It really made me want to spend more and more time with him.
    When I drove to see him the other day for the first time in 3 weeks, it really reminded me of how I used to drive to see him in Greenville. I never though I would say this, but I would give anything to be able to make those drives right now. Driving home the other day it hit me; Those drives were what kept our relationship going, and was our relationship. I know that sounds bad, but if I wouldn't have drove to see him, Im not sure that we would have had this relationship together like we do now. At the time I just wanted him home, but now looking back at the past 10 months, I realize those drives were a blessing. So don't feel bad for wanting to go back to school. I know exactly how you feel. As much as I hated being apart from Evan when he was at school, I would give anything right now to be able to do that again. Just to be able to see him more than once a month.
    As for the seasons, this one isn't my favorite either, but God is really working within me, Evan, and our campers.
    You've told me this so much this summer and it has helped me a lot, so just remember that this is all part of his plan. He has a reason for not letting you spend your whole summer with Jarred. You may not know why, but there is a reason!
    God has Evan and I both at camps without much contact and without seeing each other for a month at a time for a reason, To minister to kids. I don't know why he wanted it that way, and never will know, but I do know its all part of his wonderful plan for the both of us.
    And this is all part of his wonderful plan for you and Jarred both!
    Just cherish every moment you get with him, and it will work out in the end!:)

    ReplyDelete