Monday, May 2, 2011

I bet Jesus would have had dinner with him...

In church yesterday the sermon was about how "Jesus moved toward the despised." It was such appropriate timing in that, on that same night, America received word that Osama bin Laden had been captured and killed. Although I fully support justice and understand that he is an evil man deserving exactly what he was given, I was completely bothered by the reaction of America. From celebrating on the street in front of the White House as if it were New Year's Eve, to a swarm of Twitter and Facebook posts exclaiming "we got em", to reporters on the news spinning around in their chairs and clapping at the news of his death, the celebration was endless. Again, I realize that OBL terrorized thousands upon thousands of people, really, I get that. But celebrating the death of a person who is ultimately spending his eternity in hell doesn't seem right to me.

Osama bin Laden was probably one of the most despised men in America, if not the world. I think it's fine to celebrate justice, but celebrating the killing of a person is another story. Regardless of how despised, it humbles me to think that even the Lord cared about him. I can guarantee you that even Jesus would have eaten dinner with him.

The Pharisees and their scribes began grumbling at His disciples, saying, "Why do you eat and drink with the tax collectors and sinners?" And Jesus answered and said to them, "It is not those who are well who need a physician, but those who are sick. I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance." -Luke 5:30-32

2 comments:

  1. You are wise beyond your years my love. These are the same thoughts and feelings I have had all day as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree with you 100%.
    We're all sinners... and before we accepted Christ, we were equal to Osama bin Laden....Lost, Full of Sin, and Hopeless without Christ.

    ReplyDelete